FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Sept. 1, 2011
Contact: Ken or Kate Gooderham -- (239) 489-2616
Take coastal photos over Labor Day
The deadline is Sept. 9 for the fourth annual photography contest. The purpose of the contest is to highlight the beauty and natural wonders of America’s magnificent coasts as part of celebrating 78 years of continuous publication of Shore & Beach.
WHO CAN PARTICIPATE: The competition is open to all except ASBPA consultants and/or their immediate families (children, spouses, parents).
SUBJECT MATTER AND RULES:
1. Any photographs depicting the coastal zone are appropriate. These include, but are not limited to beaches, bluffs, marinas, wetlands, marine life, recreational facilities, and engineered projects as long as they include the setting in which they were built (i.e., no portraits of dredges or your favorite armor unit).
2. Manipulated photographs (colorized, posterized, solarized, etc.) are also welcome if the photographer briefly describes the changes or procedure. The original base photograph must have been taken by the person submitting the work.
3. Submissions must be made in one of the geographic categories listed below.
4. Winning photographs may be used as cover art on Shore & Beach. Therefore, VERTICAL-format photographs are highly preferred. Horizontal photographs can be submitted, too, but if a horizontal format photograph is a winner in one of the categories below, the editors of ASBPA may have to crop some of the scene, at their sole discretion, to fit on the cover of Shore & Beach.
5. Photographs must have been taken after Jan. 1, 2010.
6. Photographs can be full-color, black and white, sepia, or colorized.
1. U.S. East Coast
2. U.S. Gulf of Mexico Coast
3. Caribbean (Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands)
4. U.S. Pacific Coast and Alaska
5. Pacific (Hawaiian Islands, Guam, etc.)
SUBMISSION: Participants are to send electronic files in JPEG, TIFF or BMP format to the following e-mail address: contest@ASBPA.org. Please send:
1. The full size JPEG file as created in your camera (note, minimum camera resolution of 3 megapixels to allow for sufficient printing quality for cover art).
2. Or a reduced-size file (800x600 pixels minimum). Winners will have to send the full-size file later.
3. Each participant may submit up to five (5) photographs total. Photographers may submit all entries in a single category or select different categories as long as the total does not exceed 5 photographs.
4. Do not submit RAW files because there are too many manufacturer-specific formats. Convert RAW files to JPEG or TIFF files.
5. Also, please do not submit prints or transparencies of any size. ASBPA simply does not have the facilities to properly scan materials and handle the logistics of physical submissions.
In the text of the email, please include the following information:
1. Your name
2. Physical address
3. E-mail address
4. Occupation and place of employment
5. Photograph title or description
6. Date taken
7. Category (see list above)
8. Indicate if submission is full-size original or reduced size file for contest purpose.
9. Other notes if necessary (what is happening if it is an unusual scene, why you took the photograph, etc.).
WHEN: Deadline for submitting entries is 11:59 p.m. EDT on Sept. 9, 2011.
1. Winner in each category will have his (her) name and photograph printed in either Shore & Beach or the "Coastal Voice" newsletter, or both.
2. A Grand Prize winner will be selected from among the category winners to have his or her photograph printed on the cover of Shore & Beach and receive a one-year annual membership renewal to ASBPA.
3. Other entries of outstanding merit may be printed in "Coastal Voice," Shore & Beach or on the ASBPA website. (Note: The editors may contact you for more information).
THE FINE PRINT: LEGAL CONDITIONS:
By entering the contest, photographers agree to the following entry rules and conditions.
Your entry in the contest constitutes your agreement to allow your photographs and your name, occupation, city and state of residence to be published as a selected award winner in Shore & Beach, used on websites owned by the ASBPA or otherwise displayed or published in association with ASBPA and its activities. The American Shore & Beach Preservation Association retains permission in perpetuity for future use of the photographs in any and all ASBPA publications, materials, or activities.
Your entry in the contest also constitutes your agreement that your name, likeness, city, and winning photograph(s) may be used by ASBPA for promotional and publication purposes without compensation.
Participant warrants that his or her entry materials are original, do not infringe on any third party's rights, and that the participant has obtained any and all necessary permissions and releases from any third party if such third party appears in the photograph. Permission may not be needed for persons depicted in photographs taken in public settings such as crowded beaches where the purpose of the photograph is to show the overall setting or the environment.
# # #
ABOUT ASBPA: Founded in 1926, the ASBPA promotes the integration of science, policies and actions that maintain, protect and enhance the coasts of America. For more information on ASBPA, go to www.asbpa.org, facebook or www.twitter.com/asbpa.